- RemunerationBased on Qualifications/Experience
- LocationLondon or Washington DC
- DeadlineJanuary 18, 2019
We are looking for someone with solid experience in economic and social development in low and middle income countries, deep expertise in project evaluation and economic analysis, and the ability to both manage and participate in fluid task teams.
You have a passion for development, exemplary skills in critical thinking, and a seemingly boundless capacity to assimilate and process information from diverse sources. Your on-the-ground life and work experience gives you insight into the challenges facing the developing world. You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Your expertise and interpersonal skills win the respect and cooperation of internal and external clients.
- An understanding of development economics and applied microeconomics, from education or experience, equivalent to PhD level
- Significant on-the-ground developing-country experience in implementation or monitoring and evaluation of a development project or program; social enterprise or NGO; or in policy analysis and advice
- Ability to conduct economic analysis of projects (benefit-cost analysis)
- Expertise in monitoring and evaluation, including ability to review, critique, and propose theories of change, results frameworks, project objectives and indicators
- Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative field monitoring of programs or projects
- Ability to assemble and supervise small task teams
- Desirable - Fluency in French, Portuguese, or languages of South and Southeast Asia
- Desirable - Expertise in the design and analysis of randomized controlled trials, including power calculations
- Desirable - Experience in applying a gender lens to assessment of projects, programs, or investments
- Desirable - Familiarity with technology-assisted methods for monitoring and feedback
- Desirable - Ability to conduct financial analysis of an investment
- Desirable - Command of econometrics, including ability to perform statistical analyses in Stata and graphical analyses in Tableau
- Desirable - Data science expertise
Duties & Responsibilities
As an integral member of deal teams you will participate in the assessment of prospective investments – both directly, and as coach, resource person and reviewer for other analytics staff. You will contribute to the diligence of these investments with particular emphasis on assessing channels of economic and social impact. To do this, you will draw on internal analytics team expertise, external consultants, and commercial and open-source databases and literature. Applying GIF’s Practical Impact framework, you’ll
- assess existing evidence on an innovation’s impact;
- assess the innovation’s addressable market;
- and identify risks to the innovation’s achievement of scale.
You will also help to define strategies and methods for measuring the innovation’s impact and to define project objectives and indicators for reporting.
Other duties will include:
- Advising internal and external clients on impact evaluation methodology and monitoring and evaluation systems
- Advising on and assisting in procurement of monitoring and evaluation services for investees
- Ex-post evaluation of project performance
- Assisting in the corporate-level monitoring and evaluation of GIF, including assessment of internal efficiency and external influence
- Research and development in improving GIF’s impact assessment methodology and platform
- Developing and applying tools for market intelligence on innovations
- Synthesizing thematic lessons from and for GIF’s investees and for the development community at large