Global Innovation Fund (GIF) is proud to announce a new gender focused partnership with Global Affairs Canada (GAC), aligning Canada’s feminist development agenda and GIF’s focus on improving the agency of women and girls.
This partnership will use GIF’s investment process and a strategic gender lens to find and fund innovations that break down structural gender inequalities, address urgent social justice issues, demonstrate gender parity, and/or offer products and services with a positive impact for women and girls.
Consistent with GIF’s overall approach, the partnership will screen investments on reaching those living on less than $5 a day and demonstrating rigorous evidence of impact. GIF fully integrates a gender lens into its investment appraisal of all investment opportunities.
In addition to GIF’s approach, the GIF-GAC’s gender partnership goals include:
- Promoting gender equality through innovations that empower women and girls by changing social structures or relations, removing constraints, and improving their agency;
- Enhancing the protection and promotion of the human rights of women and girls;
- Increasing the participation of women and girls in equal decision making;
- Giving women and girls more equitable access to and control over the resources they need to secure ongoing economic and social equality;
- Deriving lessons to inform development practice globally on how to identify, implement, monitor and evaluate such innovations, and measure their impact.
An illustrative, but non-exhaustive, list of existing or potential innovations that GIF might consider for funding includes:
- Prevention of gender-based violence
- Improvement of household and social bargaining power
- Enhancement public safety, including protection against workplace harassment
- Promotion of community compacts to end practices like child marriage and female genital mutilation
- Systems that build women-defined goals into development programmes and incorporate women-provided feedback into programme performance
- Improved access to menstrual hygiene products
- Improved access to contraception and family planning information
- Widening labour market opportunities for women and removing constraints for women’s access to the labour market
- Enabling access to legal aid
- Promoting equal access to land tenure
- Providing women merchants and entrepreneurs more efficient access to supply chains and logistics.
If you think your innovation is a good fit, we would love to hear from you!
Photo credit: Nadja Wohlleben, Photojournalist and Documentary Photographer