Health and Nutrition | Malawi | Pilot
- The development problem. Fifty million children suffer from acute malnutrition, which is associated with between 1-2 million avoidable child deaths every single year.
- The innovation. Valid’s innovation aims to combat malnutrition by manufacturing exclusively in developing countries an affordable, ready-to-use food supplement paste made out of locally grown crops. In partnership with Ajinomoto, a leading Japanese food technology company, Valid aims to reduce production costs and extend access to the life-saving food paste, whilst channelling economic benefits back to local manufacturers and farmers.
- GIF’s Investment. GIF’s £120,000 grant will support an efficacy trial of Valid’s food paste, building upon earlier successful clinical and acceptability trials.
- Why we invested.
- Cost-effectiveness. If successfully trialed, Valid’s innovation has the potential to be a more cost-effective way to treat malnutrition. Cost-savings could lead development partners to increase the number of children they treat, while local sourcing could also improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
- Potential to scale. Valid has significant potential to scale the innovation directly and to spur further innovation and local production elsewhere. The partnership assembled between Valid and Ajinomoto is strong.